I never get tired of this photo.
Ella Fitzgerald was not allowed to play at Mocambo because of her race. Then, one of Ella’s biggest fans made a telephone call that quite possibly changed the path of her career for good. Here, Ella tells the story of how Marilyn Monroe changed her life:
“I owe Marilyn Monroe a real debt… she personally called the owner of the Mocambo, and told him she wanted me booked immediately, and if he would do it, she would take a front table every night. She told him – and it was true, due to Marilyn’s superstar status – that the press would go wild. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. The press went overboard. After that, I never had to play a small jazz club again. She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it.”
jesus christ this is so much better than all of the “you don’t have to be size zero!!!!!” and “i don’t mind living in a man’s world if i can be a woman!!!!!!!” bullshit related to marilyn monroe i see.
me on my period
- me: touch me and DIE
- me: please touch me oh my god touch me EVERYWHERE OH MY GOD
- me: feed me im hungry i want to eat ALL THE THINGS
- me: IT HURTS DEAR GOD THIS IS IT THIS IS THE END DEATH IS UPON ME
- me: -cries for 3 hours-
- me: oh my god i'm hungry
- me: SHOOT ME IN THE WOMB I SIMPLY CANNOT GO ON
- me: no no no please don't sneeze please don't FUCKING SNEEZE
- me: -sneezes-
- me: THE END IS HERE